Saturday, January 31, 2009

Lacking anything original...

I will borrow from the genius that is Douglas Adams. This has been my favorite part of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy since the very first time I read it many years ago and I was very sad it didn't make it into the movie (which I love, so don't take that as a shot against the movie). So I'm going to share it here:

The Babel Fish...

"Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mind bogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as a final and clinching proof of the nonexistence of God.

"The argument goes something like this: 'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, 'for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.'

" 'But,' says Man, 'the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.'

" 'Oh dear,' says God, 'I hadn't thought of that,' and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

" 'Oh, that was easy,' says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.

No comments:

Post a Comment